Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Banana Prune Muffins

This is probably TMI, but let’s just say that I’m always looking for ways to get more fiber into my kids’ diet. I had some overripe bananas to use and instead of my traditional banana bread, I found an interesting Banana Prune Muffin recipe online. I tweaked it a bit by adding whole wheat flour, reducing some oil and adding applesauce. The result was fantastic - both moist and sweet but not-too-sweet - and both my one-year-old and two-year-old loved them!

Banana Prune Muffins



½ c. white sugar (I used a little less)
1/8 c. vegetable oil
1/8 c. applesauce
1 egg
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ c. all purpose flour
¾ c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. chopped pitted prunes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan or use paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, oil and applesauce. Beat until smooth.
Blend in bananas and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture just until moistened. Mix in prunes.
Spoon into muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment