Friday, June 11, 2010

Pineapple Zucchini Bread

I found this recipe from the $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook I checked out from the library and immediately thought it was a terrific way to use up some shredded zucchini I had in the freezer plus sneak some additional veggies into my kids' diet! It turned out fantastic and my 3-year-old gobbled it up. My husband, who isn't a big fan of sweets, also loved it because it wasn't too sweet. I also love the fact that with the exception of the eggs, there is no added fat in this recipe. I froze the extra loaf and brought it to my daughter's early childhood class picnic on Tuesday, and this bread really freezes quite well. Enjoy!

Pineapple Zucchini Bread
(from The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook: 200 Recipes for Quick, Delicious, and Nourishing Meals That Are Easy on the Budget and a Snap to Prepare by Erin Chase)



3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts (I left out the nuts)
2 c. shredded zucchini
8 ½ oz. (half can) crushed pineapple, drained

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans.
In a large bowl, cream together eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
Fold in the walnuts and shredded zucchini and drained crushed pineapple.
Pour the batter into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought to put pineapple and zucchini together! What a nice combination! I love coconut, too. I wonder how it would be with some coconut thrown in to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping this one on file for when I'm being over run with zucchini. :)

    ReplyDelete