Saturday, May 1, 2010

Menu Plan: Week of 5/2/10



What a crazy week. Two sick kids and a sick mom. We're going on Day 10 of this bug and I thought by now we'd be on the mend...but unfortunately not. My house is a mess. Haven't shopped for groceries in a week. Laundry is piled up. Kids are crusty and cranky. The last thing I really feel like doing is menu planning, but I know we have to eat. Something. Sometime.

On a more positive note, the big hit from last week (before I got sick and had some engery and was still cooking!) was the homemade slow cooker spaghetti sauce . I made it without the mushrooms and with ground turkey I got on super-sale last week at Cub and it turned out fantastic! It made a big batch so I froze the rest for another meal (probably next week). The best part of the sauce (besides the taste) is that the whole batch only contained two tablespoons of sugar and it was loaded with veggies.

My goal this week is to once again use up some items in my freezer – my small freezer and deep freeze chest are both packed to the gills (what a blessing!) and it’s time to use up some frozen meat (I’ve been stockpiling chicken breasts on sale like a mad woman) and frozen meals. This is perfect because I'm still not feeling 100% yet and really don't feel like cooking much. If I follow the menu as planned, there will be only two days of cooking for me. Here’s our menu this week:

Breakfasts:

Breakfast cookies (from the freezer)
Cereal and toast
Walnut French Toast
Oatmeal and english muffins
Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes (from the freezer)

Lunches:

Mac ‘n’ cheese, green beans
PB&J, fruit and cottage cheese
Leftovers
Perogies (from the freezer) with marinara sauce

Suppers:

Sunday: leftover pizza (from Saturday's Pizza Hut delivery...told you I wasn't feeling well!)

Monday: Chicken tacos (from the freezer), chips with salsa

Tuesday: Chicken salads (for adults), Chicken Cheese Quesadillas (for the kids) (using leftover chicken taco filling)

Wednesday: Slow Cooker Turkey Broccoli Lasagna (new recipe from Family Circle magazine - will post soon!), lettuce salad

Thursday: leftover buffet

Friday: Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches (a family favorite - I shred the chicken when it's done cooking and put back in the sauce for another 45 minutes or so), oven baked sweet potato fries (new recipe), frozen mixed vegetables

Saturday: leftovers, grilling if the weather is nice, or out to eat?

For more menu planning inspiration, please visit I'm an Organizing Junkie.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry your all still sick. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes April. Took the kids to the dr. today and hopefully we'll all be on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for weeks with not much cooking! A break every now and then is so nice. I hope you all feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete