Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bread Machine Honey Wheat Buttermilk Bread

I have making this bread at least once a week lately. It is easy to throw together, uses ingredients I have on hand, and makes the house smell terrific. I have yet to master making "real" bread (kneading for umpteen minutes, letting it rise for however many hours, etc.) so the bread machine is one of my best friends. This is a nice dense bread. My kids and husband love it and, between the four of us, we usually go through one loaf in two meals - the night I make it for a side for supper, followed by the yummiest toast you've ever had the next morning for breakfast.


Bread Machine Honey Wheat Buttermilk Bread

1 cup plus 1 T. buttermilk, at room temp (or warmed in the microwave for the few seconds)
1 T. butter, room temp and cut into small pieces
2 T. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. yeast

Put the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Use the whole wheat and light crust settings on your bread machine. (FYI: for my Oster bread machine, this takes 3 hours and 40 minutes until done.)

No comments:

Post a Comment