Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hot Cocoa Mix

I live in Minnesota. I don't think my feet or hands have been warm since October. Therefore, you can understand my affection toward hot, comforting beverages (like my favorite Chai Tea Latte mix). I finally stopped buying the packages of hot cocoa mix because, at the rate my kids and I were drinking it this winter, I kept running out of it and it was eating up too much of my precious grocery budget - plus some of the ingredients were a little scary. So I started making my own mix, made with only three ingredients that I always have on hand. This isn't as sugary-sweet as some store-bought mixes, but it is more cocoa-y. (Like that word?) Here's our new favorite recipe:

Hot Cocoa Mix


1 c. sugar
2 c. powdered milk
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

Pull all ingredients in blender or food processor. Cover and blend until powdery (about 15 seconds or less). Store in an airtight container for up to six months (although it will not last that long!). I use about 2 -3 heaping tablespoons of mix per small mug of hot boiling water, but you can adjust to your taste.

Oh yeah...and don't forget the marshmallows.

This post is linked to Frugal Friday over at Life As Mom ... check out her great blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment