Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pear Blueberry Muffins

My little two-year-old is a fruit lover. His recent favorite is pears (I found a great deal at Aldi and got 8 pears for $2!) And forget about blueberries...I can't keep enough of them in the house for my little guy. So, I decided to make a pear/blueberry combo muffin which turned out really well. I found a base recipe but changed quite a bit of it to make it a bit healthier and suit our family's tastes. (Note that I'm still getting my family used to the taste of sucanat so I'm making a gradual transition - you can use more in place of the brown sugar if you like, or just use brown sugar if you don't have sucanat.) These also freeze very well. Enjoy!

Pear Blueberry Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 T. butter, very soft
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sucanat
2 eggs
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 cup pears, peeled and diced
1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. In a medium bowl, cream butter with brown sugar and sucanat. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the yogurt. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until combined. (The mixture will be quite thick.) Stir in the pears and blueberries. Fill the muffin cups evenly with the mixture. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. These muffins certainly look like a great breakfast treat. I bet they come out nice and moist. I have a new linky on my blog every Saturday called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete