Monday, August 30, 2010

Menu Plan: Week of 8/30/10



I enjoyed my week of all new suppers last week and was so surprised that, for the first time in a LONG time, I made nearly all of the dishes on my meal plan! (the exception was the creamy corn chowder; an evening at the State Fair followed by a night of pizza delivery didn't allow for the poor lil' chowder to be made.) We all liked the Pizza Roll-Up Burritos which were easy, yummy and really good leftover! I also liked the Ginger Orange Chicken, which also kept well for leftovers.

I was saddened by the discovery yesterday that I pulled the last pound of ground beef out of my freezer. We split a purchase of a grass-fed, hormone-free, organic, good ol’ South Dakota cow every year with my mother-in-law. I love having a stockpile of good ground beef, roasts and steaks in our freezer. Well, so much for the stockpile. We are now left without ground beef for a while, unless I discover some good, organic, and reasonably priced (now there’s the kicker) ground beef at the grocery store or at a farm near the Twin Cities. So you’ll notice two big things about this week’s menu: (1) it’s unfortunately ground beef-free; and (2) I’m giving my CrockPot a major workout this week. Until we make our next trip to South Dakota, I think there will be lots of chicken and different cuts of beef on this girl’s menu.

Here’s what I have planned for the week:

Breakfasts:
Whole Wheat Banana Strawberry Muffins (from the freezer – the kids and I made these for the first time last week and they are awesome!)
Granola and yogurt
Cold cereal and toast
Granola bars

Lunches:
Picnic lunches (sandwiches, crackers, carrots, pickles, etc.)
Chicken strips, cottage cheese, apple slices, carrot sticks (this is where I need to give a huge shout out to Laura at Heavenly Homemakers for this terrific homemade Ranch dressing/dip recipe...so simple, healthy, and my kids LOVE IT and now can't get enough carrots to dip in this yummy ranch!)
Leftovers

Suppers:
Monday: Crockpot Angel Chicken with broccoli, lettuce salad

Tuesday: Chicken Wild Rice Soup (made with Angel Chicken leftovers), Honey Mustard Salad, fruit

Wednesday: Chicken Tacos, chips and salsa, green beans

Thursday: Round Steak with black beans (new recipe), brown rice, mixed vegetables

Friday: clean out the fridge night

Saturday: Three Cheese Ziti (carryover from a couple of weeks ago), broccoli, lettuce salad

Sunday: leftovers or out to eat?

Please visit I'm an Organizing Junkie for more menu planning ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Good looking menu. I haven't had round steak in awhile, I need to add that to my menu soon.

    ReplyDelete