Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crock Pot Wednesday - Beef Stroganoff


My menu plan from last week was shook up a bit (but that's nothing unusual in this house). The Jam Chicken I made for the first time turned out to have much more of an Asian flair than anticipated. My plan was to make Broccoli Beef in the slow cooker the following night, but I knew that two soy-sauce-based recipes in a row would be overkill. I already had the round steak thawed in the fridge that needed to be used - so what to make? After browsing online I found a great Beef Stroganoff recipe (which also happens to be one of my dear hubby's favorite meals). It turned out beautifully - the sauce had great consistency and the beef turned out quite tender. Here's the recipe:



Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

1 pound round steak
8 ounces fresh mushrooms (I used portabello)
1 cup chopped onion (I only used about 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth (I used low sodium)
8 ounces sour cream (I used light)
hot cooked egg noodles


On cutting board, trim fat from steak. Cut steak diagonally about 1/4-inch thick.

Place steak, mushrooms, onion, parsley flakes, mustard, salt, dill, pepper and garlic in the slow cooker; stir well.

Place flour in a small bowl; slowly add broth, using a wire whisk to stir until blended.

Add broth mixture to slow cooker and stir well.

Cover slow cooker with lid; cook on high heat for one hour. Reduce heat to low setting and cook 7 to 8 hours or until steak is tender. (Everything seems to get done quickly in my slow cooker so I cooked mine on high for 45 minutes and then cooked on low for an additional 6 1/2 hours or so).

Turn slow cooker off, remove lid carefully and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Cook noodles per package directions; drain.

Serve stroganoff over cooked noodles.

For more recipes and slow cooker inspiration, check out Dining With Debbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment