Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crock Pot Wednesday - Jam Chicken



This recipe for Jam Chicken is adapted from Miserly Meals: Healthy, Tasty Recipes Under 75¢ per Serving by Jonni McCoy. I tried it for the first time on Monday (unfortunately I don't have any photos of the dish). It turned out pretty good, but after it cooked for a while I realized that the recipe needed a little doctoring. I'll add my two cents later:

Jam Chicken

2 T. jam (I used low-sugar apricot)
3 T. low sodium soy sauce
2 T. water
1 T. grated fresh ginger (I didn't have any fresh ginger so I used 1/4 tsp. ground ginger)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine jam, soy sauce, water and ginger in the slow cooker.
Add the chicken and toss so that it is covered completely with sauce.
Cook on low for 4 hours.

It had much more of an Asian flavor than I had anticipated (since it was called "Jam Chicken" I thought it would be a little sweet and was going to serve it with roasted red potatoes and vegetables). But then I decided to serve it with brown rice instead. About a half hour before serving, I also took the chicken out and shredded it and put it back in the slow cooker to soak up all of those yummy juices. I also steamed a 16-oz. bag of broccoli and tossed the broccoli in with the chicken about 15 minutes before serving. It suprisingly turned into a very good dish served over brown rice (with some unexpected Asian flair!)

Enjoy!

For more great slow cooking ideas and recipes, please visit Dining With Debbie.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds just great! Love chicken and broccoli over rice just about anytime!

    ReplyDelete